First make sure you have installed JAVA in ubuntu to run Eclipse.
$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java $ sudo apt-get update $ sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer
- Download the latest Eclipse from its official website.
- Extract the files from the archive.
- Move the extracted folder to whereever you want to put it.
$ sudo mv eclipse /opt/
- Create a symlink in /usr/local/bin using
$ cd /usr/local/bin $ sudo ln -s /opt/eclipse/eclipse
- Now you should be able to run eclipse from a terminal.